- Product Overview
The British Berkefeld Model SS-2 Gravity Water Filter System with Doulton Ceramic Filter Elements is designed for use in situations where a reliable supply of treated drinking water is unavailable.
The British Berkefeld gravity-fed water filter can provide you with pure, drinkable, potable water – anytime - anywhere. Requiring no external plumbing, the British Berkefeld gravity-fed water filter is great for camping and traveling! Just add water from a pond, creek, lake, or another source into its upper chamber. The simple principle of gravity pulls the water through the filter elements into the lower chamber.
The British Berkefeld gravity-fed water filter is constructed of high grade, polished stainless steel making it hygienic, durable, and easy to clean. The upper chamber fits into the lower chamber so transporting your British Berkefeld is easy. The lower chamber has a fill capacity of 3 gallons. (10 liters). The high-grade stainless steel British Berkefeld SS-2 gravity-fed water filter includes two (2) Doulton Super Sterasyl filter elements but can utilize up to 4 candles at a time. Each filter element is 7-inches long and water output is approximately 5.5 gallons per day.
- 2 candles produce 11 US gallons (40 liters) of purified water per 24 hours
- 3 candles produce 16 US gallons (60 liters) of purified water per 24 hours
- 4 candles produce 21 US gallons (80 liters) of purified water per 24 hours
Gravity fed water filters are commonly used every day in households across the country, and are particularly effective on private well systems. The ease of operation, combined with a proven effectiveness at eliminating water-borne diseases such as cholera and typhoid has led to the gravity filter being the preferred unit for field operations by many of the world's major aid and emergency relief organizations.
How the Doulton Super Sterasyl Ceramic Candle Filters Work
The British Berkefeld gravity-fed water filtration system consists of two chambers; the upper chamber is filled with untreated water which gravity feeds through (2) Doulton / Super Sterasyl ceramic filter elements, or ‘candles’ and drips into the lower chamber.
- The ceramic candles consist of a fine microporous structure, which forms a complete barrier to all particles larger than 0.9 microns in size (1 Micron = 1,000th of a millimeter). All particles above this size become trapped on the surface and within the ceramic material.
- The high-tech Doulton Ceramic elements feature a nominal particulate filtration efficiency rating of>98% down to 0.2 microns, >99.9% at 0.5 microns, and >99.99% at 0.9 microns, which effectively blocks waterborne pathogens and clarifies the water, making the British Berkefeld a powerful filtration system!
- Doulton ceramic filter elements effectively filter out pathogenic bacteria including cholera, typhoid, salmonella, E-coli, etc. Parasites including Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc., as well as all types of particle contamination including rust, etc. Sediment, chlorine, bad taste, odor, color
- The filter media contains an effective antimicrobial agent. A layer of bacteriostatic material prevents the growth of bacteria (mitosis) within the ceramic wall.
- The Doulton ceramic filter elements have an activated carbon core and are designed to remove chlorine, rust, undesirable tastes, odors, and many organic chemicals.
- The structure of the ceramic material is designed to be cleanable. Regular cleaning of the Doulton / Super Sterasyl ceramic element will allow its filtration efficiency to become regenerated. The elements may be cleaned over 100 times before replacement is necessary. The durable Doulton ceramic filters can be cleaned over and over with a soft brush or Scotch Brite pad.
- Each ceramic filter element will provide efficient filtration from 2,600 gallons to 15,000 gallons depending on water quality. Detailed assembly and operating instructions are included.
- After passing through the filter elements, safe, filtered water collects in the lower chamber and is dispensed through an easy to turn On-Off spigot.
British Berkefeld Gravity Fed Water Filter System Benefits
- Reliable Design utilizes gravity for operation. No critical moving parts to wear out.
- Long-lasting Doulton "Super Sterasyl" replacement ceramic cartridges will filter thousands of gallons each and are easily replaced.
- Bacteriostatic elements provide a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth.
- The SS2 can be used on municipal or natural water supplies.
- Used by missionaries, the Red Cross, and other humanitarian relief agencies worldwide.
British Berkefeld Gravity Fed Water Filter System Specifications
|Dimensions -||19.2" H x 8.5" D|
|Weight -||Approximately 7 lbs.|
|Candles -||Includes 2) 2" x 7" Doulton Super Sterasyl Candles|
|Candle Capacity -||The unit can utilize from 2-4 candles|
|Capacity -||10 gallons per day production capacity|
|Sediment Removal -||@99.99% down to 0.9 microns|